A public forum for Teams, Players, & Fans to come together as one to continue the popularity of the NEFL

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

NEFL Info/goodbye to cheesewheel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GBGladiators

PostSubject: Re: NEFL Info/goodbye to cheesewheel   Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:04 am

The Gladiators love all the information you provide to to the league and are in full support!

Thanks for all your work for the NEFL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jimmiekaska

PostSubject: Re: NEFL Info/goodbye to cheesewheel   Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:19 pm

I didn't think it would be too much trouble, but there's all that stuff about legal-ese and quelching rumors that I'd be suiting up this year. (Wait, nobody started that rumor? A 7-minute 40-yard "dash" isn't up to par in sports these days?)

In the meantime, I'll be working on a preseason preview post. So far I'm up to 11 pages on just team stuff (I won't be doing individual stats, it's a complicated mess of numbers that I can't wrap my public school-educated brain around).

As always, thanks for the support, and hopefully I can top what I did last year. I'll try posting something once a week with some random rankings of things like all-time winning percentage and blowout wins and different categories of power rankings. In the meantime, here's a sample, in honor of the last game of last season ending in a shutout.

All-time NEFL shutouts (includes forfeits):

1: Crush – 7
2: Predators – 6
T3: Pioneers and Rage – 5
5: Force – 4

Teams that haven’t shut out anyone else in NEFL play:
Arctic Blast*, Wolverines*, Thunderhawks, Rough Riders
*Team no longer in NEFL

All-time NEFL times shut out (includes forfeits):

1: Gladiators – 7
T2: Arctic Blast* and Spartans – 6
T4: Phoenix* and Wolverines* – 5
*Team no longer in NEFL

Teams that haven’t been shut out in NEFL play:
Crush, Rage, Force, Pioneers, Dragons
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.twitter.com/jimmiekaska
Pioneershc

PostSubject: Re: NEFL Info/goodbye to cheesewheel   Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:14 am

Count us in. We will do anything to help out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pioneersfootball.org
FVForce24

PostSubject: Re: NEFL Info/goodbye to cheesewheel   Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:32 am

Jimmie you can count on support from the Force. Let me know if there is anything you need from us to make life easier for you covering the league.

Keep up the good work and we appreciate the work that you do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rneumann

PostSubject: Re: NEFL Info/goodbye to cheesewheel   Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:48 am

Jimmie, whatever you need, I see no problem with anything. I don't speak for the entire board, but this kind of thing is fantastic for the league, so I assume there will be no problems whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Menomonie Thunderhawks

PostSubject: Re: NEFL Info/goodbye to cheesewheel   Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:39 pm

You know we're good to go for whatever you need Jimmie, hopefully the other teams STEP UP & help out the cause more than a few have in the past.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.menomoniethunderhawks.com
jimmiekaska

PostSubject: NEFL Info/goodbye to cheesewheel   Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm the artist formerly known as cheesewheel--a name I picked out because, well, cheese is awesome. I'll just go by my real name from now on so you can find my stuff on Twitter and Facebook that much easier. (In other news, the username cheesewheel is now available if you can hack the forum system into letting you have it!)

I've made a few attempts to contact people within the league, with little luck, but I hope to be in some form doing a lot of the same stuff I did last year. Obviously, I won't do anything the league doesn't approve of, and I can't say for sure until they tell me to go for it that I'll be doing any of this next season. For 2012, I plan on doing weekly/daily posting or blogging with some of the following stuff...

> Radio features--If you're a team with a radio affiliate, let me know and I can accomodate some form of feature for them to use during their broadcast or throughout the week. For example, the Northwoods League has a daily feature that runs a few minutes with all of the highlights of the previous night's games. I could probably handle doing a daily 2-minute feature with news and notes from around the league if any of your radio affiliates wanted it, and also if the league approved it (since I'm not affiliated with the league in any capacity...just a fan who happens to work in radio). I'm also available for any interivews that they would need since I try to cover the entire league as best I can--I'm based in Eau Claire, but I've been to an NEFL game in every team's home venue except for the Rough Riders (although I've seen several games at UWL). I did one interview last year for the Dragons' radio affiliate, which was kind of cool.

> Radio show--The half-hour NEFL Weekly should return this season provided the league grants me approval to use the league name on commercial radio. As always, I will make it available every week via mp3 link. There will me some changes to the format, mostly to balance out the number of times I have each team on. Each week I'll interview 4 different coaches, which means in theory every team would be represented every third week. (Crush/Predators/Thunderhawks fans, I will use my local show to interview each coach apart from the league feature).

> Week-by-week game-by-game analysis and history--I'm kind of sad the old forums are gone, now I have to remember all the nice things/trollish things I posted about everyone! I plan on doing this in the coming season.

> Score updates--I plan on doing a text message-based score update for anyone interested again this year. I think as the year went on, it got a lot more organized. Almost every team was fantastic in getting me regular updates, and hopefully all 12 will be on board this year.

> Power Rankings--I'm going to use the same ones I did last year with one small change. I will do the first set based on the last 10 non-exhibition games each team played against league opponents as a "preseason ranking" and then offer one after everyone has played 2 league games.

> Coaches' Poll--Here's where I'm going to have some trouble. Using a simple math formula is kind of cool, but the court of human opinion is interesting too. I'm looking at having a minimum 6 coaches offer anonymous rankings at 4 points during the season, 1 in the preseason and 1 in the postseason. I don't know if I can find even ONE coach willing to do it, much less 6, but I think it would be a great alternative to simple numbers. Then again, not everyone will agree, so I guess I'll just throw it out there and see what happens.

> Twitter feed--I will, again with league approval, create a Twitter account that specifically promotes the information above along with score updates. This way, you won't have to deal witih my personal account spamming you with other Eau Claire sports, video game stuff, and a million foursquare check-ins every week. It also will allow you to get text updates via Twitter instead of getting them from my cell phone, in case you want to keep your number private.

So yeah. In case you missed all that about last season, once/if I get the go-ahead, I'll start planning and preparing for my first go-round of league stuff sometime in March to get everything up and going. Any feedback is always appreciated, and suggestions are always welcome. It's a lot of work to put all of this together, but everyone else in the league volunteers their time as well (and works a hell of a lot harder than I do). I'm always grateful for the support and assistance in putting all of this together.

--Jimmie
JamesKaska -at- ClearChannel -dot- com
(office) 715-552-5109 -- call me here if you need my cell phone number for text updates
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.twitter.com/jimmiekaska
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NEFL Info/goodbye to cheesewheel   

Back to top Go down

NEFL Info/goodbye to cheesewheel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1